How many times have you said to yourself, “I could really use a break!”
Although the timing and circumstances are not most Americans’ choice, this pause is here, courtesy of COVID-19. But unlike a staycation, we aren’t sure just how much time we have to launch DIY remodeling projects or dive into long-term changes in our life.
Immediate impacts that refresh our space are the goal now, along with keeping our spirits sweet.
Floral arrangements accomplish both. According to a 10-month behavioral study at Rutgers University, flowers have an immediate impact on happiness and a long-term positive effect on moods. Study participants reported feeling less depressed, anxious, and agitated when presented with flowers. Color plays a strong role in this reaction:
• Red has a positive effect on the immune system and an energizing influence on fatigue and exhaustion.
• When you see pink, you often feel joy. Bright hues of this color increase blood pressure, heartbeat and respiration, as well, which leads to energy.
• Violet calms the body and mind and nourishes creativity.
• Yellow, the happy color, encourages communication while it stimulates memory and the nervous system.
• Orange’s psychological profile includes promoting optimism, determination, and success. On the other hand, it also urges viewers to socialization, so be sparing with this color.
• Blue, as you could no doubt guess, promotes a calm, cool, and sedate aura. No wonder it’s America’s favorite color even in normal times.
• Green brings about tranquility.
But the effects don’t end there. If you find working from home is adding undue stress to your daily life, take heart from this study in the Journal of Physiological Anthropology: fresh-cut roses in a Tokyo office environment produced measurable degrees of relaxation. “In our stressful, modern societies, the relaxing effect of natural stimuli is considered advantageous compared with other stimuli,” the researchers shared.
And, finally, don’t overlook the power of scent. Lavender has long been known as a way to relieve anxiety and depression. (It’s also been used as antiseptic) The small, white jasmine flowers enhance mental alertness. Lilac triggers serenity.
Mother Nature loves you. Be sure to let her into your life in the coming days!